This practical 4-day course provides all the essential knowledge needed to secure and audit a virtualized data centre.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Measure the business benefits of server virtualisation
- Understand the risks involved in moving physical systems into virtual data centres
- Appreciate the role of the virtualization host and how it controls its guest virtual machines
- Understand the specific networking requirements of virtual data centres
- Understand the specific security and control features of VMware ESX, VSphere and Hyper-V
- Understand the principles of business continuity and disaster recovery in a virtualized data centre
- Extract audit data from the virtualized environment to support your audit recommendations
- Use PowerShell scripts to control and monitor virtual machines and their host servers
This practical MIS training course will provide you with the tools and techniques you need to audit a virtualized data centre. You will learn how virtual environments are set up, how virtualized servers are created and managed, and how they are secured.
You will learn how to evaluate the security of virtualized data centre and how to ensure that suitable business continuity processes are transferred from the physical to the virtual environment. You will see how to extract security and control information from the virtualized environment to support your audit findings.
You will also receive an audit program for use in planning and conducting your own virtualisation reviews. The course will concentrate mainly on VMware, but the essential features of Microsoft’s Hyper-V will also be covered.
Course Director: Steve Rimell - Steve has an enviable reputation as the most respected authority in the UK with over 20 years practical experience in information systems auditing. He provides training, security reviews, consulting services, and internal audit support for a wide range of public and private sector clients in the UK, Europe and many other countries. He has also had extensive experience as an audit manager running a commercial IS audit service. Steve specialises in the more technical aspects of information systems audit, having extensive knowledge of the security and control of UNIX, Oracle, Windows, and networking environments such as TCP/IP.
'Very detailed course which is good for virtualization specialists and IT Auditors. Material is well presented and explained’
Senior Security Engineer, Aspire Zone Foundation
'The course gives a very comprehensive overview of virtual environments’
IT Auditor, Information Technology Authority
‘Great overview of how virtual environments are working and how they should be set up. Steve is excellent’
IT Auditor, GE Money Bank
Software demonstrations, group discussions and case studies will be used to emphasize the key audit and security issues.