An intensive and practical programme which explains the key principles of effective corporate governance and how to apply them. You will be provided with the tools to identify and manage the strategic and reputational risks facing your business.
Part 1: Corporate Governance - the essentials
During the first part of this training week you will learn, using practical examples and case studies, how to establish an effective, efficient and value-adding corporate governance framework.
Over two days you will:
- Understand the key components of a corporate governance framework
- Appreciate the people, processes and behaviours needed for effective boards
- Recognize the importance of setting the right tone from the top on ethics, values and organisational culture
- Learn about the respective roles and responsibilities of the key players
- Find out how to optimize the distinct contributions of the board, audit committee, internal audit and external audit in oversight and assurance
- Explore the crucial role of Enterprise Risk Management (ERM)
- Gain insights into emerging international best practice resulting from the credit crunch
- Know how to assess and report externally on your governance arrangements
Part 2: Managing Strategic and Reputational Risk
In part two you will be provided with a practical approach to identifying, assessing, managing, monitoring and reporting strategic and reputational risks.
Over three days you will:
- Understand the importance of managing risks to strategy and reputation
- Learn from crises caused by unmanaged strategic and reputational risks
- Discover why your businessís reputation is probably its single greatest asset
- Appreciate what drives reputation and how to identify and manage the key risks to it
- Know how to identify risks in the development, communication, implementation, monitoring and reporting of strategy
- Find out how threats can be mitigated and opportunities exploited to promote delivery of strategy and to protect and enhance reputation
- Explore how effective disclosure to stakeholders can boost your businessís standing
- Learn how to integrate strategic and reputational risks into your Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) framework
- Be able to leverage the distinct contributions of Executive and Non-Executive Directors, Management, Internal Audit and Risk Management
- Examine the impact of leadership style and organisational culture
Course Director: Jenny Rayner
Jenny is a former Chief Internal Auditor for ICI and author of Managing Reputational Risk: Curbing threats, leveraging opportunities. Jenny writes and lectures on internal auditing, risk management, corporate governance and reputation. She is a member of the Institute of Risk Management and has chaired the North West District Committee of the IIA UK and Ireland.
Methodology: The training week is extremely interactive with case studies and real life examples used throughout. Delegates will have the opportunity to network and share experiences with other senior professionals